Tuesday, November 09, 2010

My Last Day

Today...is my last day at AFN. Truth be told, I'm sad. Roxette's "Joyride" is playing on my radio from AFN Naples's AFN "The Eagle"
I think the lyric..."enjoy the joyride" really describes my last three years here at AFN South's Network Production Center. Today doesn't just mark the end of my tour, but the end of my time with an organization that I believe best fits me. Some would tell you my blood runs AFN. Tell me what other job in the world allows you the opportunity get paid while having fun? (Please keep your comments clean)

On any given day, I get to: spend four hours playing music on the "Only Station Serving America's Best!" anchor a newscast, produce a radio/TV commercial that highlights what is important to the bravest men and women in the world, travel the globe to tell the military's story to the world, and be a part of a group of talented and motivated broadcasters....all with a kick-ass Luchador mask on! Just saying!



I remember coming over here and telling my wife, "the good thing is there won't be much travel with this job!" The first time I met my new boss was at a Thanksgiving dinner and he told me, "I hope you like to travel!" There was a period of time where I was averaging 10-days a month on the road. Many of my friends and family members where jealous of me because I was going to Africa A LOT! The problem is...where I was going...was not the "good" Africa. Thankfully, other than losing 10-pounds every time I went, nothing else bad happened. Not the case for my good friend James Allen. In his attempt to cover all of the fantastic work US Army Africa was doing on the continent...he got malaria.

Two of the coolest things I did while here were traveling to Africa, and covering the events surrounding the announcement of SSG Sal Giunta being awarded the Medal of Honor. (Click for Video)





I leave behind the best boss I've had in 20-years, a team of dedicated professionals, and a shit-ton of stories and memories. Mark my words...this IS NOT A GOOD-BYE! It is an UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN!

Now I'm heading to the Defense Information School to be an instructor. This will be yet another journey for me. I look forward to the next set of stories and memories...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats Chris...so lucky I got to be a small part of it!!!!! I remember the day I asked if you knew Dave P. and you picked up the phone on the spot and made the call...what a great moment that was...and getting to be present at the mask purchases...hmmm...anpther monumental moment we shared...travel save, see you on this side of the pond!!!!

Andrew Carlson said...

Glad to see you are doing well. DINFOS doesn't know what they've got coming. Best of luck to you.

Rusty Barfield said...

Chris, thanks for all the hard work. The Air Force needs more people like you to motivate, inspire and educate the force. Your blog says it all about your time with AFN. Take care and see around Fort Meade (I live 6 miles from DINFOS).

Unknown said...

Andy...You're not exactly right. One of the O6's in this organization sent them an e-mail...cc'd me. My favorite line, "Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it."

Rusty...looking forward to it. Wish I played better golf so I could hang.

Anonymous said...

MSgt,

What course are you teaching at DINFOS?

MC3 Curtis

Peter O'Connell said...

Congrats on a great run Chris.

Best always,
- Peter

Unknown said...

Thanks Peter!

Tony...BWAS/AEJ/BMC